At least two killed in car bomb attack in Izmir
A car bomb attack in the Aegean province of Izmir near the courthouse killed at least two people on Monday, the İzmir Governor has announced. >
Governor Erol Ayyıldız said one of the victims was a police officer while the other was an employee at the İzmir courthouse in the Bayraklı district, adding that around seven people were also wounded.
He said an armed clash erupted with militants as police attempted to stop and search the car. The governor also stated that the militants were killed in clashes while two Kalashnikov and eight hand grenades were also seized.
According to Ayyıldız, another bomb-laden car was also detonated near the scene. Ayyıldız also said initial findings suggested that the PKK was responsible for the atack. No terrorist organisation claimed the attack so far.
The attack occurred near a police checkpoint at the entrance for judges and prosecutors of the courthouse at around 4 p.m. (GMT 1 p.m.). A number of ambulances were immediately dispatched to the scene. The wounded were taken to nearby hospitals.
Turkeys media watchdog, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK), also announced a gag order on reporting the attack.
Taylan Yıldırım - Izmir DHA